View Single Post
Old 01-30-2023, 01:20 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
It seems the busy production from a few months ago has cooled. Exactly one year ago, the local RV dealership nearest my home (Keystone products) had almost empty lots. Now, it's jam packed full. I watched their sales lot get repopulated more and more through the year. Now, it's so filled with new units (and packed full of campers needing repairs), it's almost impossible to find a parking spot for a bicycle.

If units are not selling fast enough, then it only makes sense that manufacturing will slow down. This is not the first rodeo, nor will it be the last. About 5 or 6 years ago there was a serious downward trend when it hit the national news (and nothing to sneeze at), the because of the slacking RV industry, hundreds of RV employees were being laid off in Elkhart and Goshen which was horribly affecting the economy of both cities. Yes, it wasn't THAT long ago. Has everyone forgotten those days?

The exact same comments were being made on these forums then as they are today? "What's going on." Well, after hundreds were laid off, things took another turn and slowly sales increased again, then Covid hit which caused it to skyrocket. And now, here we are, approaching another slump.

I don't think there is anything to be alarmed about, unless you are one of those employees whose work schedule has been reduced. But with every job, before we accept the terms for employment, we are all "usually" fully aware of the risks for any longevity at the job, we understand our opportunities for advancement and we understand what to expect for increased salaries and raises and cost of living raises. If you don't ask these questions when you apply for a new job, then shame on you. Understanding what your future may or may not hold is your responsibility. And when the market changes for your type of employment, it should come as no surprise when you get the pink slip. Folks who are "wise" with their place of employment are prepared for the best AND the worst. I'm positive these RV employees were fully aware of the potential down-slope of the business that would eventually come.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote