View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 10:35 AM   #3
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
That does not sound good, especially if you are sure it is coming from the hubs.

It does not sound like your problem, but Super Duty's are bad (I have had 8 of them) about making a clunking noise when the overload springs contact the stops. If your truck is loaded so the overload is just shy of making contact with the stop, you will hear a constant clunking; every time you go over a small bump. Drove me crazy until I figured it out. The solution (if it bugs you) is to have a good spring shop add a leaf or two to the main spring stack and toss the overloads in the trash. Not real expensive; I did this on all my company trucks.
I had just lubricated the overload springs and bump stops to silence a loud squeaking noise coming from them when I discovered the popping noise. And as my son-in-law was rocking the truck from side-to-side, the rear overload spring was hitting the rubber bump stop. Possibly that vibration was traveling down to the axle and then to the wheel. With the bumper pull camper hooked up was the only time I could get it to make that noise. Wouldn't do it unloaded for when the 5th wheel was hooked up.