View Single Post
Old 07-06-2020, 03:09 PM   #27
decarteaux
Established Member

M.O.C. #26474
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
With mini splits you wouldn’t need as many BTUs. The duck work in these campers loose at least 25% and probably much more. We have 28,500 BTUs with only a 25% loss we are down to 18,500 BTUs. Power required to run them would be cut by half. SEER on our AC units are probably 10 maybe 12 where the SEER on a mini split starts at about 16 and goes up to 33 or more now. They would be able to heat your camper down to zero or below.

If you watch HGTV other countries have gone to mini splits much more than we have. With all the advantages we will be installing many more in this country. The problem installing them in many houses is they are cut up with too many rooms. You need a inside unit for each room and that gets expensive.
Lynwood
Wow, I had no idea that the duct loss was that much. Thanks for that info!

Roof mount vs. wall mount - not sure which way I would go. But if the indoor unit is small enough, I'd probably do it that way.

As far as the number of indoor to outdoor units, I do believe that Mitsu or Samsung make a 4 to 1 unit (4 indoor to 1 outdoor). But that outdoor unit gets big quickly and I highly doubt that anything like that would be suitable for an RV. I suspect that a 2 to 1 is doable, but that is outside my sphere of knowledge.

decarteaux in Fallon, NV
2008 Montana 3400RL, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 HD Laramie w/Cummins 5.9L 24 valve TurboDiesel. Andersen Ultimate hitch
decarteaux is offline   Reply With Quote