View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 05:10 AM   #26
TomCat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22648
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpc View Post
Here is a little information on the Renogy dc/dc charger. I have a 40A Renogy and have it mounted inside my front basement compartment. You are on the right track as far as wanting to get some ventilation in there. I have found that it will overheat when the temperatures start to get up in the 80* plus range. There is an internal high temp sensor that will shut it down and in order to reset it both the 12VDC on the inlet and outlet have to be disconnected from it. It will not simply restart when it cools off. With any luck Renogy has made an improvement and the unit now runs the internal fans to cool down and restarts the charging automatically. I still have not added any fans because the solar now takes care of the charging while traveling.

Good luck and have fun with the installation.
Thanks for the reply! I appreciate the information. Wow - 80 degrees seems like an awfully low threshold. Specs say the operating temp is up to 50 degrees C (122 F). I will definitely be on the alert for that. Just curious - I know it depends on the size of your array, but how many amps of charging current do you get from your solar on a good, sunny day traveling?