View Single Post
Old 06-26-2020, 06:33 AM   #25
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Every time I see what RV dealers charge per hour and for a simple job like wheel bearing service, it almost convinces me that I should have gone into the RV service business instead of working for a living.

- Seals - ~10 bucks for a set of four unbranded that have proved to be as good as the over priced and completely identical Chinese made Dexter's
- Pound can of grease ~10 bucks or ~6 bucks/tube if I use the bearing packer.
- Roll of paper towels about a buck and a ha;f
- 8 to 12 Harbor Freight nitrile gloves 50 cents

This all totals to about $22 or so

Time - I'm retired, but even jacking the 5er up (no self leveilng), plus cleaning the tires and wheels, getting out then cleaning and replacing tools, maybe 2 to 3 hours if coffee breaks don't interfere too much.

I do understand that some folks just do not have the physical ability to do this job. I just don't like the time frames RV service places hint at to often do a half a@#$ job either. Luckily, I still can and my savings adds up to a few nights camping or several diesel fuel fill ups.

I do like the idea of hiring a neighbor teen (if you can tear him away from his phone) and teaching him how to do this mundane job. A few bucks pay will be even more enticing.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote