View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 02:12 AM   #34
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Can Canadian residents/citizens purchase Directv? I was told by a guy from Canada they could not as their address is normally a Canadian address of record??
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

In our experience when asked the question Directv does not give a straight answer on " can we receive directv in Canada." Of course Shaw or other Canadian providers do not want you to purchase directv. The truth is that as long as you can "see" the satellite you can receive a signal. The provider of course can restrict the spot beam as we see on the local channels. This is the first I have heard of restricting it to a country but I am sure the technology to do that exist. The proof is of course that we have been several hundreds of miles up into Canada and we have to use the lat and long on Dishpointer.com to get the proper angles but it worked just fine as long as we can see the birds. We have Canadian friends who purchased directv using their snowbird address.I also know they have a bank account in the city of their snowbird address so My guess is that is how they pay the bill. No one would know they were from Canada. It is also my guess that since the population of Canada is far less than the States that the sat companies do not have the customer base that directv and Dish have south of the border and will find ways to ....pay for the new sat.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote