View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 02:01 PM   #11
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
The first two or three times we tried setting up our DTV system I was ready to kick it across the camp site! It was beyond frustrating! Now we can and often do just take a look at where some other DTV is already set up and try to duplicate that. Probably half the time we either hit the signal dead on or get very close to it. I know many of you swear by the "plumb" mast idea. Yes. It is good to have a nice plumb mast but it is not necessary. I guess my couple of years setting up a Hughes Net system took the "plumb" out of me. They had a system that allowed you to simply plug in the elevation, azimuth and skew. Once you entered the numbers you just used the level bubbles to get them zeroed out.

Of course there are then the times when the cable or the barrel connectors go bad! Now that is frustrating.

One thing we have never had (and we've had DTV for about 10+ years) and that is bad service. Even when we ended up with "user error" type problems the service reps at DTV have all been courteous and usually knowledgeable.

By the way Paul that is a nice posting. Thanks for sharing. Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote