View Single Post
Old 12-19-2015, 02:54 PM   #1
omextreme

M.O.C. #17815
Wall Ripped away from frame on new Montana

First post here hope yall can offer some Advise.

I have posted over at the keystone forums with little response and the guys at RV.n e t Said to ask here.

I have a 3 month old Montana HC 340BH and the wall adjacent to the main slide has broken free of the frame.

History....
After the first 3 or 4 trips we noticed the main slide was starting to stutter / jerk / not retract completely smoothly. Upon further inspection it turned out to be the forward roller has side brackets that were slightly higher then the actual roller and were digging into the plywood underside of the slide.
- Unit was repaired at a dealer by grinding down the high sides of the roller bracket and repairing the fabric under the slide
- Repairs seemed fine until last trip
While retracting my main slide, the silde started to stall after only moving 10" - 12" inward. I immediately stopped moving the slide and went to investigate the cause of the jam.

While looking at the cables the wall "popped" out and broke away from the frame of the trailer. What appears to have happened is that the jammed slide pulled the wall outward 3", ripping the interior wall and bowing the fiberglass side of the unit.

After looking more closely at the structure failure and I am dissapointed in Keystone on this one. The vertical side wall support was only welded on 1 side to the lower frame. The aluminum tubing tore where it was welded. This location is an EXTREMELY high stress spot since the entire weight of the slide leverages against it.

This area SHOULD have been reinforced with more metal or at least heaver strength aluminum.

Now the question is how should this be properly repaired, It this something you would trust the local shop to handle or should I push for this unit to go back to Keystone and be repaired there?

If the unit goes back to keystone generally how long does that take?

omextreme is offline   Reply With Quote