View Single Post
Old 09-29-2021, 01:34 PM   #8
VagabondLove
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #27665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbrewguy View Post
Thank you all so much, as usual. Since we're going to be homeless (or unhoused as it's called in Cali) but mobile at the end of Oct. I think we'll establish So. Dakota residency and let America's Mailbox be our agent. Sounds like a good fit for us. We can't go "home" anymore. BooHoo. Hope to meet as many of you as possible during our travels. We're always up for a good time and some down home food. Randy and Beth
Don't forget, where you choose to send your 'mail' is where you will also have as your domicile. That means where you vote, what health/auto insurance is available to you, where you register your car and have your drivers license, what state taxes you pay, etc. It is not just about a mailbox.

For me, those other decisions carried even more weight than where does my mail go. Anyone can get an address in the state they want by going to a Mail Boxes Etc or other independent shipping storefront. I chose Florida for several great reasons like no state taxes or vehicle inspections and family members with whom I live "On Paper", but one of Florida's downside is insurance. My health insurance rates skyrocketed and I have much less options as I am traveling in "out-of-network" locations for a large part of the year (last month's unexpected out of network visit to an Emergency Room in Vermont cost me a cool $6000 with no negotiated rates, and of course it does not apply to my in-network deductible!). Auto insurance rates equally suck thanks to the higher percentage of bad drivers in Florida.

Just my 2 cents...
VagabondLove is offline   Reply With Quote