Thread: Trailer hitch
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2018, 07:28 PM   #12
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmthelen View Post
I also pulled doubles with a semi tractor combination and now pull recreational doubles, Montana with enclosed cargo trailer, and I can guarantee you that you will NOT back the RV doubles any distance at all. The overhang of the RV causes too much swing making it impossible to back much more than a few feet before the second trailer starts to turn. The axles on the the tractor trailer combo are at the rear of the trailer making it much easier to back as there is no trailer swing. I have pulled RV doubles since 1995 without incident although much care needs to be taken to ensure that you don't get into a situation where backing the rig any distance is required. Make sure it is allowed in your state as most states will allow if you are properly licensed in your state. Also, there are a number of states that it is NOT allowed at all. Get informed.
I agree with what you said that it is easier backing up a big rig combo. I used to pull a boat behind the 5th wheel on a regular basis and had backed this combination up quite a few times but never in a tight situation. When I retired we bought a longer 5th wheel and sold the boat as the combination exceeded the total length allowed in the province where I reside.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote