View Single Post
Old 09-14-2004, 04:04 AM   #2
Montana_1511
Established Member

M.O.C. #1511
Is it okay to drive with the furnace on? We leave the frig on gas when we travel, but never thought about leaving the furnace or AC on. We're hoping for a quick trip to Ojo Caliente (west of Taos) for New Years and might run into cold weather on the way.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Like others, we've been in subfreezing weather for a week or so at a time, but never below the teens. We leave the furnace (at night) set at 50, close the door to the upstairs and run an electric heater up there, to conserve propane. Even so, in those temps we go through a bottle of propane in about 3 days. Many people will get a large propane bottle from the park. Many parks will loan the bottle, you pay for propane.

When driving in subfreezing weather we leave the furnace on the lowest setting while driving. This keeps some heat going into the tank area to avoid freezing. So far we've had no freezing problems.

Although all the above will help inside the Montana you still have to worry about the hose water connection outside. At the suggestion of one park manager we started leaving the kitchen faucet running a steady small stream of water all night. He said he'd rather pay for the water than have his pipes freeze. I found a drip is not enough below around 25 degrees, it needs to be a steady drip. One time I awoke at 6 and shut off the water thinking it would be warm enough outside (ok, I was mostly asleep). Two hours later we had a large popsicle outside. I swapped to another hose while the frozen one thawed out. Thankfully the park's pipes were ok.

Steve and Vicki Reigle
'03 F350 SC SB SRW 6.0L PSD AT; '03 3295RK
Montana_1511 is offline   Reply With Quote