View Single Post
Old 02-11-2021, 06:34 PM   #67
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Aircraft Carriers

For me this is quite a historical picture. I served on both of these carriers when their designation was CVA.

In early 1965 I was a member of VF-41 (F4-B). We deployed aboard the USS Independence CVA-62 from the Atlantic fleet’s 6th fleet to the Pacific fleet’s 1st fleet, from Norfolk, VA. It was a 7 month cruise and I worked on the flight deck for the entire cruise as a squadron airframes troubleshooter.

I reported to VF-151 (F4-B/N) for duty in July of 1970. During my three years in that squadron we made two long deployments to the South China Seas from Alameda, CA aboard the USS Midway CVA-41. I started out as the line division supervisor. However, because of my previous experience with the F4 I was assigned to the aircraft division as the calendar maintenance supervisor. We did periodic inspections on squadron aircraft.

Right after I went to shore duty in 1973 the Midway was forward deployed to Japan. In this picture, the Midway is being relieved from forward deployment by the Indy. The place? Pearl Harbor. Hawaii was my first duty station out of boot camp.

Click image for larger version

Name:	USS Independence & USS Midway.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	8459
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote