Thread: Tire Covers
View Single Post
Old 02-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #13
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosssmith View Post
I seriously doubt tire covers serve any purpose. Anyone running any tires longer than five years is really taking a chance on the highway. Five years on my RV is my change out point because the tires are loaded so close to their load limits as well as I exceed their designed speed limit. My RV is housed fully indoors except when it is on the road but I don't expect that to extend the life of my tires.

I own a trucking company and we don't run tires over six years on our eighteen wheelers because we know they will self destruct and tear up hell and half of Georgia and cause unneeded downtime for repairs. Not to mention the risk to other motorists and the mess left down the highways. Our testing has shown six years to be a reach but it works because we don't run fast or overloaded and any tire showing damage comes off much sooner than that. Steer tires would not be run that long but they come off based on wear not time in place.

I know the wheel cover folks will disagree with me and they are welcome to do so. As Lynwood says we don't cover our pickup tires.

The manager of the Goodyear store I use tells me the Corp won’t allow then to even fix a flat on any manufacturer’s tire that is over 5 years old. They say tires loose too much after that to be safe.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote