View Single Post
Old 07-13-2021, 02:20 PM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Talking Don't know if I'll ever "truly" make it to full timing ...

... not so sure I really want to.

It was our dream to go full timing when I hit retirement. Well, I'm one step closer. I applied for Social Security yesterday. I passed that golden age of 66 and 2 months, so I'm eligible for full benefits and can still continue working and earn as much as I want without penalty against the SS payments.

But, now that I'm there, I'm not so sure I really want to give up my full time job yet. With Covid, we've been out of the office, working from home for a year and 4 months now. Although the "rumblins" are to return to the office, "the powers to be" are getting such a back-lash, they are not making any decisions very quick yet. It's caused just enough "confusion" to be confusing.

Meanwhile, my wife and I (who also works from home), have taken advantage and done the "work from home" .... from camper! Even when we are "home", we're still in the camper in the drive way.

We deeded our house over to our son about a year ago. He and his little boy have been living with us for 8 years now, and he's petty much learned how to take care of everything on the house. That frees us up to hit the road, have camper will travel! you know!

So, basically, we still have a very solid "home port" to return to at any time, so we have the best of all worlds right now. I'm enjoying my current life-style. I'm still enjoying working full time. My health is still good, and I still have a good paying job. And I can take all this on the road on a whim, whenever we feel like it.

My wife says if I quit working, I'll go nuts with nothing to do. I think that's why the house is so good for us. I love to piddle in my wood shop, I still enjoy my John Deere mower, and I still love running the corn fields behind the house when the corn is up. I enjoy the benefit of having somewhere to return home to for stable Doctor visits, an address, insurance, and family. But I sure do enjoy the time we are on the road too.

Nothing says I have to quit and give up the job yet? Nothing says I have to surrender the house completely either. For now, I'm just enjoying the good life!

And I guess I'll just pocket that Social Security check, or use it for camping fees! It's really nice having options! Real options! and to be in the position, if I want, to tell the boss: "Take this job and shove it! I ain't working here no more!"
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote