Thread: Finding fuel
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2020, 09:52 PM   #2
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by LERD View Post
I had asked this question on a different thread, but I realized almost immediately that it should have been a separate post, sorry.
So I am leaning heavily towards the new Ford 7.3l gas motor. Same power as earlier diesels with the simple life of a gasoline motor. But I'm looking at a 34 gallon fuel tank and between 7-9 mpg. So I'm looking for fuel every 200 miles or so. Is that a problem as I head through the Dakota's, Montana, Wyoming, etc? Especially if I don't have an external fuel tank. We have gas stations everywhere here in Ohio. I'm not opposed to diesel. But I am opposed to all of the DEF issues, fuel pump issues, other exhaust issues that are very prevalent in all of these forums. My next TV is at least a year away. And just for some understanding, I am towing a smaller 5er with an ecoboost. So I'm very aware of gasoline towing.
If you stick to interstates you should be fine with those distances; we had few issues with our last rig which would go 225 miles, and maybe you could stretch it to 250 miles. Off of the interstates you need to more carefully plan your route. I always carry a 5 gallon jerry can when in more remote areas.

We use Gasbuddy to plan our trip, and I get my wife to use the map view on satellite and drill right in to make sure we can see that there are good entrances and exits; not always can you find a truck stop, and/or the price is a lot lower just down the street... but you need to know you can make it safely in and out with your trailer.

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote