Thread: Wheel Bearings
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MuddyPaws

Has anybody ever used a bearing packer? It's basically a conical base with a zerk on the lower end, and a smaller conical top that's pressed down firmly on the top of the bearing inner race. Grease is pumped in at the bottom and it flows up & through the bearing.

Kinda like this (The === is the bearing and the ### is the grease)
|--V--|
|\===/|
|#\#/#|
|#####|

I've seen them but never used them. I always used the grease on heel of the hand method. I always felt that way I was comfortable there were no air pockets, etc.

I don't do my own bearings anymore. As fulltime rv'ers we just have no place to do that kind of work. It's a rare rv park that will allow that kind of work.

It seems to me that Dexter has basically built a bearing packer into the axle/hub assembly, with the improvement of spinning the cage/pins while grease is injected.

I've read dozens of posts, here and elsewhere. I'm going to very carefully modify what Dexter says is the proper procedure based upon the failures most often cited. I.e. Seal failure.

My Plan: (call me crazy if you will)

1. Warm the new grease up to 150F
2. Tow my Monty at least 10 miles to warm up the hubs
3. pump the new grease in VERY slowly while spinning the wheels.
4. if the grease coming out looks clean a few pumps will do it, if it's dirty I will pump until it's all replaced.
5. If I blow a seal then I am crazy!

BTW, we have only about 5,000 miles on our unit so I really don't feel the burning need to take it apart to inspect the bearings/races/seals unless some ugly crap comes out while pumping.

Grins
Muddypaws

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote