View Single Post
Old 11-11-2007, 03:47 AM   #1
Old GI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4308
Those were the days.

I remember when I was just a young soldier, on Veterans Day we were always in a parade in whatever city close by asked for us. As part of a Regimental Combat Team we had our own regimental band. Let me take you to that time, some of you old soldiers will remember this. We packed our rucksack with cardboard to make it look good and carefully strapped on our bedroll. On the deuce and a halfs and off we went. At the starting point we stood in formation for what seemed like an eternity until we were called to attention and heard the command "pass in review" first the colors moved out with the American Flag in the center higher than the rest followed by the Parade Grand Marshal, then we heard the tap, tap, tap of the drummers setting the cadence as the band moved out next came the sound of the Army band playing marching music, I remember how the hair on the back of my neck would bristle at the sound and we would stand straight and proud as we marched off behind the band. All along the roadside would be men, women and children standing, waving and holding American flags and applauding as the marching men, tanks and trucks moved along, men removed their hats as the colors passed by, women and children placed their hand over their hearts, little boys usually saluted and wore a military cap they got from their dad. As we passed the reviewing stand we were given the command "eyes right" and as we went by all were standing and saluting the Flag. After the Parade we went to a Park usually by the VFW and had refreshments while the kids flocked around to look at the rifles and tanks. We never complained about being in a Parade it was just part of being a soldier and serving our country. Sadly, those days are probably gone forever. In the words of General MacArthur, Duty, Honor, Country were words for a Soldier to live by.
Old GI is offline   Reply With Quote