View Single Post
Old 04-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
This first part is a little off topic but since a couple mention it, here goes....

If my cabinet doors latches are adjusted correctly (a couple were not, but all are now - I checked all this kind of stuff on our third voyage after a mishap) is the hook & loop still necessary? They are on pretty good so the doors catch well and haven't concerned myself any further. When you folks mention using double-sided hook & loop, how do you use it? How is it attached? Is this used ONLY when traveling and when set up the "Velcro" is not used?

I don't travel near as much as many of you and think this might have something to do with not having any problems except for the one where DW opened the slides and didn't check that all the door were closed and ripped off one of the pantry doors. I was able to refasten the door and it only required the "toothpick trick" and it is currently very solid. In fact, I am more curious about the cabinet doors at the hinges. I have made two other toothpick repairs for hinges, but the swing out ends of the cabinet doors have been pretty solid. But again, our travel miles per destination have been no more than 550 miles (1 to 2 days tops) before setting up.

But for this topic... I wonder if it's better to have all your problems up front, then over time (hopefully you stick with it) it just keeps getting better and better. Not only will you find out the price of RVing (ugh) you'll save money over time not having to fix stuff that breaks or you break. Tremendous experience and learning come with an RV. It's very different from a stickhouse, in that the trailer goes through so many more earthquakes. Unfortunately, I have learned more during a mishap than not. I hate that.

Being the MOC will help you A LOT on what to look for, prevention before your troubles and how to solve things. Good stuff, for sure.

While you might have gotten pretty beat up on SR99, I-5 is getting pretty bad too. I remember when using I-5 was like driving on glass compared to 99. They seem to be the same now. I wonder where all the CA DMV fees are going?

How far north on the 101 do you mean? I have a computer program (TLDCN) that shows many RV service locations. PM me your location and I'll send you some addresses and their distances.

Bear, best of luck to you.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote