View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 11:15 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Keep in mind that a 20 pound bike probably increases about 10 fold the amount of weight it becomes when your trailer bounces on whatever it's attached to.

This is why understanding weight ratings is SO important. Just because you carry or hitch up any weight and it seems light enough at the time, this object is gonna turn into a LOT heavier weight when bounding and bouncing down those roads and whatever it's attached to is gonna have to support it.

My ladder says it supports 300 lbs but only when I climb up slowly and not bounce onto each rung as I climb. The ladder is designed to support this weight when stopped and no additional stress like when driving. Now put some bikes, the brackets, any hardware, locks and chains and each pound increases substantially on the ladder when driving. Over time the ladder supports will eventually weaken and this is how some owners have reported problems (and I've seen some).

That's why I think finding a way to attached a receiver to the trailer frame is a better solution because the frame is already much much stronger than the ladder. Then attach the bikes and lash them such that they are NOT loose and bounce around. I've seen a major difference following a trailer or vehicle with a loosely mounted bike rack and bikes and a very well tightly mounted bike load. Having loose objects further increases any stresses.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote