Thread: Gas Regulator
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2008, 03:10 AM   #11
jerrygering
Established Member

M.O.C. #7210
This is very timely for me. I have 2007 3500rl since April 2008, in the fall of 2008 at the right side tank I smelled propane, disconnected everything resealed the connections, still leaked. Rather than haul the rv to a dealer 50 miles each way I called someone locally who was recommended (live in small town) who had rented space had an impressive truck for road service and he said had worked on rv's for years. He messed with it for an hour or so, replaced the regulator, charged $125, did not have the tools to check the pressure at the stove, or seem to even know about such a thing, although he said the regulator was a normal problem.
We were in Kissimmee after Christmas, and I determined the propane leak still existed. Someone that had lived in the campground, and was highly recommended did come out and checked the propane, changed the regulator again, did have the test equipment spent 2 1/2 hours ran the stove gauge etc. Pronouced the system leak free, $250.
After that I kept that tank closed for most of our summer 7 week trip, still not convinced. Near the end of the summer I opened the valve so I could determine if it was still leaking. My left side tank ran empty, the furnace would not light, the right side tank was also empty and smelled like propane. I was checking the left side tank daily to montor when it ran out, so it was less than one day, no way the right side tank could have been used up by the furnace in one day.
I just made an appointment to have problem fixed next week a good dealer, told him to replace everything between the two tanks if necessary.
Now it seems the culprit is probably an unnecessry regulator that seems difficult to replace with a good one.
jerrygering is offline   Reply With Quote