View Single Post
Old 10-21-2019, 10:36 AM   #10
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
I'm sure there will continue to be different models offered at different price points in order to accommodate a broad economic marketplace. Regardless of the price point that a consumer can afford, I agree that all should be able to expect a base line of quality and function. Plumbing, electrical, water-tight construction, safe/functional suspension, etc, should always perform correctly. These can be fairly well controlled in the manufacture process. Quality of materials and nature of cosmetic finishes will certainly vary with price point. But we should all be able to expect that trim doesn't just fall off the wall or entire walls fall of the back of a rig (I've seen that). Most of what this entails isn't an issue of materials, but of time spent to do a better job with the same materials. Sure, you could get better materials for every part of the rig but what would that cost?

Appliances, stereo systems, leveling systems, etc, are harder to control since they are built by other manufacturers.

Our trailers get compared to cars, but that's only because they have wheels for the road. We are basically buying houses and although there are some similarities to the automotive industry, this issue is much more complex. The government demanding a higher quality product will be difficult to manage and there will always be something that breaks.

I'm all for having the industry toe the line to a higher standard but agree that the end result will be higher build costs. Although it will be interesting to see what a slower economy and a competitive marketplace will do to control that as well.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote