Thread: Air Flow Issues
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 06:21 PM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I was going to wait until closer to the summer to share this but some of you could use this info now...
Window film test
I have frameless windows with dark tint.
The problem is, the sun heats the glass, the aluminum frame conducts the heat right through to the inside of the RV and the frame gets so hot you cant touch it.
Putting reflective window film on the inside, I believe, is not effective. You need something to reflect the heat away before it gets in. OR shade the window entirely (awnings being best solution).
I ordered one silver and one bronze (matches my color scheme) reflective interior cling window film. I wanted something removable so I could put it on in the summer, to keep the sun/heat out. Then remove it in the winter, to let the sun in to warm the RV.
I put the film on the outside of the glass to reflect the heat away. I put silver on the left window, bronze on the right side and shade the top right side to compare all four (silver, bronze, shade, full sun).
Note: the film is made for window INTERIOR not exterior. Not my best work, lots of bubbles, after all, this is just a test.
RV rear window is facing due west. Test was done at 3pm under full direct sun. Outside air temperature 88°F.
Area:
A= full direct sun
B= shade (white towel)
C= bronze reflective film
D= silver reflective film
Temperature measured on the window FRAME on the INSIDE of each area using a laser thermometer.
A= 130 °F
B= 99 °F
C= 107 °F
D= 105 °F

Not that much difference in temperature between bronze and silver. Bronze does go with our color scheme so we will go with that for all windows that do not have awnings. I guess we will wait and see how long this cling film lasts. I'll let you know...
Installed 9-5-20.
Bronze film came off 10-29-20. But, full disclosure, I did not trim off the excess film (zoom in on the bottom right corner and you can see how much was overhanging) so it flapped a lot going down the road and eventually came off.
The silver film which was trimmed to the window edge is still firmly attached (3-4-2021). I'm guessing the bronze would still be attached if I had trimmed it properly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reflective window film.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	214.2 KB
ID:	8596  
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote