View Single Post
Old 10-22-2005, 05:13 AM   #28
drhowell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3628
Go to;
http://www.onstar.com/us_english/jsp...seo=GOO_OnStar

And check out the options and prices. There are several levels of service. The basic one gives you emergency coverage and is of course the least expensive. What they do not tell you is there is a cell service that you also have to subscribe to in order to have the on-star plan. There is a basic plan there also based on number of minutes per month etc. I don't have the exact figures we are paying per month the wife handles that since it is her car. I know she wasn't very happy about the cost of the various plans and she ended up with the basic services.

It does provide another level of security and roadside assistance but it is something each individual needs to evaluate for their situation. The scary side is that someone can monitor your movements. Probably can no matter whether you sign up or not. I understand some law enforcement agencies and insurance agencies use the black box technology to determine your vehicles speed etc just prior to any accident. The technology is there but the actual use of it is just in the beginning stages.

Imagine every vehicle sending out a unique signal (like cell phones do). Law enforcement is chasing your car. They call dispatch and tell them to disable the vehicle directly in front of them. Or have the technology (like a Klingon tractor beam) to do it themselves. With the current technology On Star can disable your car if stolen or open your door if you are locked out. Where is it all going? Who will have control. Didn't pay your speeding ticket? They can shut down the vehicle!

Looks like we are setting things up for a whole new series of lawsuits and loss of freedoms? Or maybe, its just really neat technology that has no real negative potential?

Sorry, I just got a little carried away. Been watching to many movies.
drhowell is offline   Reply With Quote