View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Carol, I'm glad you got the landing gear situation resolved. If you recall, last December we followed you into Las Cruces the day you left there. We came in without having unhitched for three days because of a bad landing gear. Same thing. Jammed. Bent washer.

We had an appt with the Montana dealer there who rebuilt that leg, using our Good Sam Extended Service Plan. Picked up the rig, got to the park, unhitched, went to level the rig and the OTHER leg actually collapsed. I was able to get it hitched back up (barely able to because of the angle) and took it back to the dealer. They had to order a new leg and we couldn't unhitch (no landing gear stability) so had to rent a car for several days to do our grocery shopping and some sightseeing. Eventually that leg was replaced.

Next stop, got us level side to side, then unhitched and leveled front to back. Went inside and found we're not level side to side. Bathroom door flies closed, etc. Low on the side with the new leg. Next stop, same thing. Next one, same thing again. Finally, next stop, before unhitching and when ready to spin down the rotating foot on the new leg I first tried lifting the outer tube, the one that comes down with the extend/retract switch. Sure enough, there's nearly an inch of slop in that leg.

Contacted Venture. Turns out the replacement leg is not Venture's. There's no name, no numbers on it. I can buy a new Venture leg for that side for $165 and shipping. I have to decide whether to buy that leg and replace this other one or just continue to do the leveling as I now do it, by lifting that bad leg and then spinning down the foot. A bit of a pain but I figure with shipping it's $200 and my labor and I can do a lot of lifting and spinning for $200.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote