View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 08:55 PM   #9
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
I can easily understand why you would be asking $135,000 for the truck/trailer combo.

Reality is it will sell at ~ $85,000-$90,000 for the combo. That's a huge difference in what your asking.

I looked on Blue Book for the actual values but that sounds about right to me. Both the truck and camper are valuing at about $50K. A dealer would most likely set asking price at $110-115K and sell in the 100K range maybe. I would expect an owner to be setting price at about 100K and take around $90K at best. Of course this most likely leaves the OP underwater on the loan....I'm sorry to say

Setting your price slightly high to allow for negotiations is a common tactic BUT you have to be careful not to set the price so high that you scare off potential buyers!!

And you have to set your pricing based on what the market will bear or banks will finance, not what you owe on the rig. Buyers and banks don't care what you owe they only care what the rig is actually worth and that is determined by Blue Book on loans.

One other thing to keep in mind is that buyers EXPECT a dealer to ask premium price even for used units. BUT they EXPECT to see actual owners ask less. This is in part due to the fact that everyone understands a dealer has to make money to stay in business. But there is also the factor that it is usually easier to get a loan when buying from a dealer. In other words it can be more of a hassle to buy from an actual owner vs a dealer and folks expect the pricing to reflect that. Nearly all buyers looking at actual owner rigs are looking for a bargain. Be prepared for that mindset.

I know folks are going to hammer me on this but I'm hoping honesty will help the OP. I'm not buying the unit, just trying to give advice on realistic expectations.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote