Thread: Topper Question
View Single Post
Old 04-13-2007, 02:36 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Sue and Harv, you asked if there's any preference as to brand of toppers and where to get them. First, you can get them from rv dealers and from Camping World. Watch the CW sales. Or ask the RV dealer who got your money for the Montana if he'll give you a break on price. He probably won't but it doesn't hurt to ask.

As far as I know, there are just two brands out there. A&E, which is what Montana installs and Carefree. They are equally good. I like the looks of the Carefree best, my self, but that's purely an opinion. We have the A&E on this Montana and had the same on our prior Montana. They've performed well.

As far as the life of them, on our prior Montana they were four years old when we traded the rig. The toppers were ready to have the material replaced. However, that was four years of being out in the weather every day except when we were on the road (we're fulltimers). If you use your Montana for weekends and vacations and store it with the slides retracted, I would think they'd last longer. That's a guess but it makes sense to me.

Good luck. I'll never be without the toppers. And I've never used anything to keep them from flapping. No balls, ropes, or anything, although I've considered it. It's not really all that bad when they flap in the wind and after awhile you get used to it. I do, anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote