Old 08-16-2014, 12:26 PM   #14
Pugtracker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12009
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Phil P

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Pugtracker

Thanks for all the input, valid points. Wish I would have been smarter on truck choice a few years back, looking for a fifth wheel with washer and dryer hook ups under around 14500 loaded
Hi

There is nothing wrong with pulling a trailer that is rated for a greater gross weight than your truck is rated for as long as you don’t load the trailer so that it is over the truck rating when on the scales.

The example is we have a 3665RE rated at 15,909 gross weight, we only load it to 15,500 and that puts us within 200 lbs of the truck rating.

As it stands today we weighed 22,500 on the scales yesterday that is 1,000 pounds less than the truck rating of 23,500 Lbs and the truck gross was 900 lbs below its GWR. We are short 750 lbs we normally carry in the basement. When we load that unit then we are at 23,300 lbs. And the truck front axle will be within about 50 lbs of it weight rating and the truck will be 100 Lbs under its GWR.

These weights are fully loaded, full water tank, full fuel tank, 2 passengers in truck, 2 dogs in truck, all the “stuff” we need in the truck and 1 cat in trailer.

All of these weights will keep you out of trouble even though the trailer is rated about 400 lbs higher than what the truck is rated for but it doesn’t weigh that much. You have to watch what you put on the truck and trailer and weigh often. I weigh every time I load to capacity to make sure we haven’t exceeded any of the vehicle ratings.

Phil P
thanks Phil thats the plan we have met our goals and I think when we weigh in we will make it. Will be keeping our eye out for extended cab rather than crew cab and might not go 4x4
Pugtracker is offline   Reply With Quote