View Single Post
Old 02-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #24
johnpjpa
Established Member

M.O.C. #11095
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

That reduced speed you are talking about will help a lot with your mileage. In fact, it might be enough of a difference to off set the difference in weight. I met a guy towing a tri-axle toy hauler, towing with a new 6.7 L F350 and complaining because his mileage wasn't any good. In the conversation, he revealed he was toying between 70 and 80 MPH. Well, duh.

After towing over 15,000 miles, I have established that 58 MPH is the optimum for getting the best mileage. My Big Sky 340RLQ is roughly equivalent to the 3400. I get 9 to 9.5 with a 4:33 rear end. Strong head winds can knock me down to around 8 MPG.

Hello: we made it to Muskegon on tuesday and got back to Topeka thursday after taking delivery of our new Montana 3400 RL
I did drive t 58 MPH all the way and pulling the Laredo on the way up we got 12.8 mpg and on the way back ,the first 300 miles we got 12.3 MPG pulling the Montana 4000 pounds +more weight then the Laredo ,we started to have lots of wind close to St louis all the way to Topeka and mileage did go down to 11.5 mpg ,like you mentioned 58mph is the best speed for economy and i am pleased with the results ,.
Thanks again for the info ,and hope to meet you sometimes on the road
John
Vanhollebeke
johnpjpa is offline   Reply With Quote