View Single Post
Old 02-18-2011, 04:50 PM   #22
johnpjpa
Established Member

M.O.C. #11095
Well ,we made the trip to Muskegon Michigan this past week there was a few days of nicer weather
And we decided to go for it and pick up our new 2010 Montana 3400 RL'
We left Monday feb 14 2011 at 10 am from Topeka Kansas with our 2008 Laredo and travel around 350 miles at 58 mph exactly
And our fuel mileage was 12.8 MPG ,I was very happy about that,until we decided to stay and spent the night at the love,s
Truck stop in wiliamsville ILL. Wanted to find a camping place ,none open this time of year going east.
First I get in the 2008 Laredo to move the slide a little, just enough to uncover the heating ducts to have heat during the night.
Well that did not work as planed the slide moved about 5 inches and that was it, Battery completely dead ,so we decided to stay in our truck,
With engine running and trying to charge the Laredo Battery in same time enough to close the slide
I bet not to many of you have spent Valentine Night in your truck ,with your wife , dog ,and engine running on a21 degree night ( not recommended)
But after 43 years of marriage you need to try new thinks !! Wife and I have pretty good sense of humor , it does help in sticky situations sometimes
anyway's the battery recovered enough to close the slide and I decided to just keep on driving until I needed more rest again.
So we did this for most of the night ,drive 80 to 100 miles then rest a couple hours etc etc .
Due to lot,s of resting time with engine running my mileage came down to 12. 3MPG by the Time we arrived at the dealership in Muskegon
At 8.15 am Tuesday the 15 .
Needless to say BoB "the Montana salesman " looked surprised to see that we got to his place of business ahead of him by 45 minutes.
When we where expected late afternoon.
We took delivery of the Montana later in the day ,some finishing touch needed to be done and BoB graciously proposed for us to spent the night in the Montana
On the dealership lot, having almost no sleep at all the night before we accepted and started back for our 750 miles home trip with our new toy in tow the next day
Wednesday the 16 .
I was of course as happy as a kid in a candy store and set the cruise control at 58 mph ,after about 250 miles of mostly flat roads my mileage was 12.3 MPG , 0.5
Mile less then the Laredo and towing over 4000 pounds more weight ,I was amazed and extremely happy.
We spent the night Wednesday at a rest area and continued to Topeka the next day Thursday starting at 6.00 am
The last 350 miles were the most difficult due to strong wind and my mileage started to drop from 12.3mpg to 10 .9 MPG
I love the new Montana ,and would recommend Lakeshore RV to everyone for the OUTSTANDING service and super deal I received from Bob Woodard
I am Retired from 45 years in the automotive business,, all with Mercedes Benz starting out a tech and owning my independent Mercedes sales and service
DealershipFrom 1981 to 2006 then passing it down to my son.
My recommendation is only my opinion but 45 years in the business should be good qualification.
John Vanhollebeke
johnpjpa is offline   Reply With Quote