View Single Post
Old 05-12-2018, 04:38 PM   #3
GeologyTek
Established Member

M.O.C. #21745
Skylight Shade-Installed

I have a 3811ms that has a giant sky-lite in the bedroom closet and shower. I work at night and sleep during the day some weeks. I wanted to keep the light and not black it out permanently by using smoke paint or anything. I did not like the "pleated shades" that I found online because of the holes that the strings run through. I also wanted something insulated.

I found that Bali Blinds from Lowes or Home Depot makes a shade specifically for skylights. They are the SkyMaster series of cellular shades. They are in a track that you can open and close. I purchased the Midnight Double Cell series because they are 100% black out and insulating. They also absorb tons of sound!!

I had to build a frame around the outside of the sky-lite for the blinds to fit in to. They make a huge difference. Because the roof is curved you will have to make a shim to block out the extra light. I used white polyurethane boards that were easy to sand down.

It works great as long as you dont mind the "extra bulk" of having the frame hanging down. Be sure to measure the clearance of the left hand glass closet door. I had to lower it to so it would clear the frame of the new shade.

Kurt
GeologyTek is offline   Reply With Quote