View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 11:43 AM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
TST Tire pressure monitors

I wasn't sure whether or not to post this here or in the tire sub forum...but here it is (for now). Mods can move it if appropriate...

So I added the TST flow thru type sensors to my Monty (my truck already has OEM TPM but no temp.) and I noted that this sensor requires steel valve stems.
I had been meaning to go to steel stems anyway so this was good motivation to proceed. I had America's Tire rebalance and rotate the tires since they were off the trailer anyway.

I found some nice steel valve stems on etrailer.com and ordered a set...BUT they did NOT FIT my wheels (OEM Montana 16" aluminum). The holes on the outer rim part of the wheel were too small of diameter for the nut and washer to fit.

I spoke to etrailer about this and pointed out that this wheel is very common and they should know about the hole diameter issue to warn people about checking closely. Yes, I should have done this, but I would not have known the diameter of the washer and nut on the valve stem anyway.

I will be returning these and had to make a second trip to America's Tire after they were able to quickly obtain the correct stems (see photos for comparison).

NOTE: the photo of the single stem is of the new (correct) ones that America's Tire got for me. The two side by side are of an old "correct" one that was previously installed on one of my tires. The one next to it is one of the new (INcorrect) stems from etrailer. Note the difference in size and type of nut and washer.

SO, I'm posting this up to possibly help anyone else considering this addition to their Monty; BE AWARE that there are more than one type of steel valve stem and check the hole diameter on your specific wheels.
Mine measured 5/8" diameter which was the same as the nut on the stem (no room for a socket in the hole, the washer was even larger at 3/4").

Got 'em mounted up and the TST sensors work great with no repeater antenna needed (included in the kit).
Attached Images