View Single Post
Old 12-28-2019, 08:05 AM   #8
Loneoak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19514
We were in that area in 2014, and partly again in 2018.

Rocky Mountain Nation Park is beautiful. We stayed at Elk Meadow Park, and had no issues. Lots of space, easy pull through sites, etc. Estes Park the town can get very busy with traffic and pedestrians.

We stayed at Cortez KOA and took a day trip to Telluride. A nice drive is from Silverton north, called the Million Dollar Highway. If you follow it further you would get to Telluride. I'm not sure I would want to take a rig on that road due to the tight turns. You would want to stop and take pictures anyway, and there would be no room to pull over with a rig.

We also took a little gold mine tour near Silverton. We did the train up and back, but the next day we drove there.

We took the 2014 trip after Labor Day. We did the four states (CO, UT, NM AZ. We started with CO (Colorado Springs), then continued south and west from there. The Wolf Creek Pass is very nice (Highway 160). Before heading home, we went back into CO (stayed at Cortez) and drove to Telluride. The sky was blue, snow had fallen in the past week, the aspens were golden, and the views to die for. In Telluride there is a free gondola ride to the top of a hill. It's very nice.

Mesa Verda NP is definitely worth a visit.

We stayed in Buena Vist (KOA) last year on our way from Estes Park to Chama, NM for the train ride. We did not really see much of the place as it was an overnight stop. The Chama train ride was nice.

2017 High Country 305RL
2015 Ford F-250 Super Duty
Loneoak is offline   Reply With Quote