View Single Post
Old 12-27-2019, 07:53 PM   #4
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I'm not sure where "Old Bridge" is located so I don't know from which direction you will be entering Colorado. But ...

You mentioned these places:

Rocky Mt NP
Durango
Telluride
Buena Vista (collegiate peaks)

If you are coming in from the east let us begin at Rocky Mountain National Park as an example. I will assume that you will make reservations in one of the Estes Park campgrounds. None of them is ideal but several can take care of your big rig. I know most about Spruce Lake because I've stayed there several times. I believe it is a good as any. Elk Meadow is owned by the same people and is right at the Park Entrance. Mary's Lake is some kind of publicly owned campground and is a bit less crowded

Anyway, no problem for big rigs, but reservations necessary and not inexpensive. From there you could make Buena Vista your next stop. If you are not afraid of mountain driving I recommend the Peak to Peak Highway which will totally avoid Denver and bring you out to I-70 west of that city. I can give more complete directions if you request.

Buena Visit remains one of our favorite spots in Colorado. There are two campgrounds I place at the top of the list: Arrowhead Point north of town and the KOA south of town. There are lots of other choices, but I will stick to this recommendation.

From Buena Vista (on your way to Telluride) you have some good options which I will recommend: Gunnison/Crested Butte and Ouray. Plenty of good campgrounds at all of these places. You will have to come close to get to Telluride anyway. You will be very close to Ouray, another of our favorites and near the turn-off to Telluride. Telluride is not one of our stops but I'm including it as you wish to visit there. I know nothing of campgrounds there. But if you wish to go on from Telluride to Durango you will pass right by Mesa Verde National Park which is certainly worth a visit.

If you have never been to Durango you will surely want to take the train to Silverton (I recommend taking the bus back; the train both ways is a very long day) Many good choices for campgrounds in Durango. We have stayed at United and like the chance to see the train come right through the campground. Otherwise it is typical of older in town RV parks.

Now I will leave you in Durango, but depending on where you are headed for home I'm sure I could give you some suggestions of great places for other stops along the way.

We have been going to Colorado from East Texas for more than 50 years and with an RV for over 20 years. Before that cottages, tents, and backpacking. If you wish to PM me I'll be glad to respond with more specific comments or to answer any questions you may have.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote