View Single Post
Old 10-07-2021, 07:52 AM   #1
Old Okie
Established Member

M.O.C. #23890
Any trouble finding overnight camping while travelling?

We love to do long vacations in our Montana High Country 305RL, particularly in the West/Northwest US. We typically make reservations well ahead of time in places we know will be crowded or where we want to stay for awhile. On the other hand, I prefer not to try to guess where I'll wind up every single night of the trip and usually just try find a place park overnight--and I want a campground, not a WalMart or other parking lot.

With all the newer RVers on the road, I would like to know your experiences in finding an overnight spot just by checking campground availability on the 'net, say mid-afternoon of the travel day or just by dropping in.

In particular, we live in Oklahoma and have a several day reservation in Yellowstone next summer. We also want to do a few days around Rocky Mountain National Park (Estes Park area). The distances between where we live and Estes Park, and between Estes and Yellowstone are further than we like to drive in a day, so I'm talking about overnighting somewhere in western Kansas and in rural Wyoming.

What would you folks recommend--make reservations in advance, or just winging it?
Old Okie is offline   Reply With Quote