View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #111
shbcr1
Established Member

M.O.C. #23835
Keystone response

Sadly, this BS about overuse is just another example of mixed messaging coming from Keystone. What is overuse? How many times can you run the slides in and out to be overusing? This is ridiculous. I had a rep try to tell me that I had to do annual maintenance on the gearboxes by adding oil. Of course, the gearboxes and motors are sealed.

The facts are that in 2016-17 the manufacturer of the slide motors and gearboxes changed designs which resulted in sealed units leaking oil. Now, what is in the gearboxes is actually grease, but as temperatures warm up the grease liquefies, and increases the volume in the gearbox causing it to leak at the weld. From what I understand, once a sufficient amount of liquid grease leaks out, the volume will never reach the area of the leak again. This problem runs along many brands owned by Keystone, and Thor industries. FYI, there will be two areas of damage to the roofs, first the outboard edge, for when the slide is in and unit leaks, and then the inboard edge behind the molding, this occurs when the slide is extended.

By the time they were building your unit, they were installing drip pans post-production in units that had been sold. They certainly had time to develop the "Industry standard of repair" of putting eternabond tape down over the bubbles. (Between my fighting with Keystone, and Camping World screwing up the industry-standard repair, I got new roofs) Even the idiots at Camping World was aware of the issue, enough that they stocked the drip pans in their service department. However, that didn't keep them from selling units without drip pans or of notifying buyers of the potential problem. So, keep pounding on them and maybe even look at some of the RV lemon lawyers. There has been discussion of a class action suit, but no one has been able to get one started.
shbcr1 is offline   Reply With Quote