View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 11:57 AM   #17
BiggarView
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19382
Send a message via AIM to BiggarView
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakelife View Post
We have a 2015 Ford f350 Dually Diesel. The rig is a 2020 Montana 3813ms. Shipping weight 13685. Carrying Capacity 3165. Hitch weight 2820. I do plan on adding airbags to reduce suspension drop and keep everything level. Also adding a rack to the back of the camper to bring along a smoker amongst other things. It'll only have a 300lb capacity though. The hitch weight is a concern for sure. The only consistent advice I've seen is weigh it ourselves and see what the real numbers are. Although this solution doesn't really tell me what a safe hitch weight is.
Well congrats on the 3813MS... we have one too. Your truck is more than capable. Airbags will smooth the ride but not add to payload capacity. My best guess on hitch weight puts us at about 3500lbs when we are "all in"... we will be getting weighed soon. we will be adding 1200 watts of solar, 400-600AH of LFP batteries and we carry a champion 3150 genny in the truck for when we need more power to run A/C (with soft starts). I considered AGMs but my concern is weight, and LFP fixes that. At a price, steep too. The problem we have is the CCC numbers. with all the goodies on boards we have only about 2100 lbs of CCC left for our stuff, food etc. This why the LFP option works for us. YMMV as they say.

Engineering friend of mine says the pin weight should not exceed 25% of the total OEM trailer axle weight rating. So we should be good. we are also considering an air-ride pin box.

2017 RAM 3500 Laramie CCLB Dually CTD Aisin, OEM auto level rear air-ride, B&W hitch
2020 3813MS Legacy Cobalt FBP, MORryde 8K IS & pinbox, PI EMS,DIY mods by in-house "craftsman", RV security system Mk1 Beagle Alerter
BiggarView is offline   Reply With Quote