View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 11:35 AM   #16
Lakelife
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25287
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggarView View Post
For overall trailer weight yeah the 20-25% pin calculation is more or less valid. In this case the batteries are much closer to the pin. Usually in front storage bay. Therefore the percentage of the added weight going on the pin will be much higher. Think 50-75% of the battery weight or more. Yes you can load additional weight at the back of your rig to counterbalance this, but that loading drill kind of defeats the purpose of the autonomy one would be looking for doesn't it?

At this point, I'd suggest you look in LFP batteries to save weight. Expensive yes, but might meet several potential needs you seem of have overlooked like payload on your tow vehicle rear axle or potential trailer overloading. You do not mention what trailer you have, what truck you have, nothing except doing a lot of boondocking. Without out more info it is hard to give specific recommendations. Its all a big balancing game. What works for one person's situation may not work for another.
JHMO.
We have a 2015 Ford f350 Dually Diesel. The rig is a 2020 Montana 3813ms. Shipping weight 13685. Carrying Capacity 3165. Hitch weight 2820. I do plan on adding airbags to reduce suspension drop and keep everything level. Also adding a rack to the back of the camper to bring along a smoker amongst other things. It'll only have a 300lb capacity though. The hitch weight is a concern for sure. The only consistent advice I've seen is weigh it ourselves and see what the real numbers are. Although this solution doesn't really tell me what a safe hitch weight is.
Lakelife is offline   Reply With Quote