View Single Post
Old 04-26-2021, 03:05 PM   #10
Mikelff
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26851
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeririgged223 View Post
As an Austin metro resident I'd say ........NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO not SH 130.

That is a privately owned TOLL ROAD. From San Antonio to Georgetown in a car runs nearly $70. If you are taking a vehicle and a trailer would cost you an arm, leg and any children you have or had.

I-35 north from San Antonio to Austin is under construction about 80 percent of the way as they are adding lanes, I -35 north around Waco is the same. I'd avoid 35 if at all possible.

You are better off leaving SA, heading east on 10 to the Houston bypass loop out of Katy headed towards Spring and then either continue north thru Nacogdoches OR take 45 to Buffalo and then start heading NE on 79 from there. Both are good drives, good roads. I recommend either route but my preference would be 79 out of Buffalo thru Palestine. More interstate fewer small town slow downs.

Just remember that if you are pulling your trailer gas up at the interstates as you leave and reach them as large stations on the back roads are not readily available..
I’m with you on this route!! Based on where the OP want to go, they are better off avoiding I-35 altogether.
I-35 from Austin to Dallas, including Ft.Worth, are under construction and are traffic nightmares. Last year I was headed to South Padre from Ft. Worth on I-35 and went through Austin on a Sunday late morning and it wasn't any different than 5:00 pm Friday rush hour! It cost me a few bucks but took the toll road back. Saved me over two hours drive time not to mention the white knuckle experience. I use alternate routes these days and try to avoid I-35 when ever I can.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote