View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #40
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Well now you know far more than you knew before making your original post in these forums Allen. It is great to now have all that information.

I think it is highly likely you will be somewhat overweight on your unit Allen, but I am not sure that a couple of hundred pounds matters all that much as far as the safety of your units. I have no idea if the agency responsible for weights and things on the highways in the US ever bother with recreational vehicles or not, if not, then you likely have nothing to worry about.

I will restate that I would bet there are a whole lot of units heading down the highways that are overweight in the “legal” sense and I am sure some are also overweight with respect to safety issues as well.

I know that prior to my leaving here this year for Arizona I will know what the weight of my unit is and if it is “legal” or not.

For interest sake my Son in Law just bought a 2012 – Dodge 3500 Laramie crew cab short box single wheels. The GVWR for that unit is 10,100, his wife, (my daughter) ’08 dually is rated at 10,500. They are both under the 11,000 GVWR of my ’01 dually. Guess I had better hang onto old faithful.

After phoning the government weigh scale here and asking them some questions, I checked my License and Insurance and my truck is licensed for a GVW of 11,023 lbs and the Monty is licensed for a GVWR of 15,805 lbs, so both are licensed for their highest rated GVWR. The gentleman that I talked to told me that if I was to be checked by their mobile unit or had to submit to a weight check, they would weigh the truck front and rear axles, then the trailer axle and combine those weights, they would compare that total to the total of the rated GVWR of the truck and trailer added together to determine if I was overweight. The same way they do on commercial units.

I do not think your time was wasted in finding out all the information you now have Allen, I would be interested in your final numbers, I will post mine here in the forum when I know them. Good luck and happy trails.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote