View Single Post
Old 03-06-2021, 08:43 AM   #53
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I’m not sure a new diesel will with all the pollution controls on it will last that long with out expensive repairs. I do hear of the 2.7s going 300,000 without any trouble. With all the pollution controls and high pressure fuel systems that can go bad and cost thousands to replace I would be willing to take the chance.
Lynwood
That just doesn't hold water. Around here there are hundreds of guys using diesel pickups for heavier hotshot work and I have dozens of them as clients.
They often put on over 100,000 a year. Many used to do deletes and tunes and then blew stuff up. Now they've learned to just put fuel and DEF in and drive them as shipped from factory. Some trade them off after 250,000 and some keep them to 400-500,000 or beyond. Most have little to no major issues (although of course there are some who do). They run businesses where every penny gets counted and their overall cost per mile for heavier work (fuel, DEF, repairs, rebuilds and maintenance) is lower than gas and is a primary reason why they drive them. Gas engines (including EcoBoost) will simply not work as hard for as long.
For lighter use, like small packages and stop and start runs, gas engines do work better and EcoBoosts are popular. But, load them up and put lots of miles on then diesels are the norm, by far.

And, let's not pretend that the EcoBoost is a single barrel carb with straight pipes either. It is a very complicated engine with it's own set of things that can go wrong that the owner can't fix, so may require thousands to fix.

I can tell you like them and have good success with them. But the same is true of diesel owners with tens of millions of miles on their modern diesel pickups.

Horses for courses, and if you want to work a truck hard, diesel has advantages and that's been proven for years.

Brad