View Single Post
Old 03-03-2021, 05:34 PM   #43
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
The point I was making is, per liter the Ecoboost engine has about the same torque as Ford’s diesel. The 3.5 Ecoboost has 148.5 Torque per liter while the Diesel has 156.7 torque per liter. The diesel makes its peak torque at 1600 while the Ecoboost makes peak torque at 2500 and has 90% from 2000 to 5000. That is according to Ford.
Lynwood
To be clear, I'm sure not dismissing what you are saying. The Ecoboost has been a great success for Ford, for sure. AFAI recall, they do some very interesting things with lowering the compression and raising turbo boost while managing with sophisticated electronics.
I've not driven any of the "small diesels" in the Big 3 half tons, and I've only driven Ecoboost half tons empty. It would be interesting to compare the "seat of the pants" if pulling both to rated loads with those half tons. (1600 vs 2500 rpm is meaningful but how does it translate??)

Either way, that hasn't translated into the heavy duty pickups, which is what all of the members here will be driving. In the HD class, the competition is between NA gas engines vs turbo diesels. Between the inherent strengths of a diesel engine for pulling and the addition of the turbo, it's not a fair fight for the gas engines

Brad