View Single Post
Old 02-01-2006, 01:41 AM   #86
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have the 05 and 06 brochures that claim the gel coat added 600 pounds and that always raised my eyebrows but look at another weight fairy tale in the brochure. They claim that the propane tanks are placed on opposite sides for weight balance. The two separate propane tank compartements are convenient and some of my RVs have had a narrow compartement with the second tank behind the first and that is a real pain but to pretend that 60 pounds of weight on opposite sides of the unit are a big deal is just advertising fluff. What balances out your fridge, or your hot water tank?

Keystone and other companies have to make brochures that help sell their product and they all are guilty of misinformation at times.

If we knew the thickness of the gel coat we could do a square footage calcuation like I did on the windows and come up with an accurate figure.

One thing I learned in my 32 years of owning RVs is how all the companies that make them have been keeping the true weight of their units a secret and it was only those of us that weighed them realized how much heavier they were.

Slide in campers are the biggest culprits in the weight scam and many companies give the weights without appliances and added the word "light" to their units.

My 03 Okanagan 9' camper, one of the smaller ones they make, all loaded up on my 05 F350 weighed in at just over 11000 pounds and just under the 05 GVWR of 11200.

This same camper on my 04 F350 was the same weight but the 04 only had a GVWR of 9900 LB so I was over a 1000 pounds in excess of my legal GVWR.

Both trucks handled the camper good but with the 04 I could have had my insurance voided if I was in an accident or if I broke down on a trip , Ford could have voided my warranty for overloading my pickup.

Yet all over the USA and Canada, people with single rear wheel pickups, 3/4 and 1 ton will be buying campers today, the majority of them will be overloaded and lawyers all over are rubbing their grubby little hands together in glee because they smell another cash cow ready for the slaughter. Take care, Don.

Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote