Thread: Wind
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2021, 08:52 PM   #14
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
On the other hand, wind may be available day or night. They may produce less power but they can produce at all hours. I figure that one shade tree is worth one air conditioner. And, as power is produced at night it would reduce the need for battery capacity which could offset the added cost of wiring as you suggested. There are advantages and disadvantages to both systems. I'm not opposed to solar but the technology now is similar to the old 10' satellite antennas of years past. Everyone wanted one then but look at what they have now.
Sorry but I have to disagree with a lot of this...

I disagree with the premise the battery capacity and wiring would be reduced using wind versus solar. Wiring needs to be sized according to the output of the generator, whether solar or wind or a gas powered one. Undersizing the wire is not only inefficient, it could be dangerous. And batteries are sized according to average energy needs when little or no power generation is happening. ie the wind doesn't always blow either.

Wind generators want 25 mph winds; how many locations have that day and night? While I can think of a few areas like that (very few), they are not areas I would want to be around for very long.
OTOH, areas with lots of sun? Yes please.

Last, to compare current solar to early generation satellite TV antennas seems to have missed a lot of solar system improvements. For an example, and just one, solar panel efficiencies have almost tripled.

Perhaps there are still some who may find wind works for them, but I suspect most will find solar to be far more effective and a better value, all things considered.
And, for some, neither is an ideal solution. YMMV

Brad