Thread: Residency
View Single Post
Old 07-29-2020, 01:53 PM   #7
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by elprofesor86 View Post
As future retired long timers, 10-11 months on the road, we are looking to establishing residency in South Dakota because of all of the tax benefits etc. We own a home in California that we would use as our home base for the 1-2 months of the year we stay there. Do we have to sell our home in California to do this or is anyone else doing this? Basically, is it possible to establish full time residency in SD while owning a home in CA for part time residency?
Thank you in advance.
Yes, it's possible. You can own 50 homes, one in every state, but you can only select one state as your domicile. Generally, it's the state you spend the most time in...

I'd say this year is a Mulligan due to COVID19. My residency/domicile is Texas, but I have spent most of the year in AZ. If I were to go by the letter of the law, well, let's say it's debatable if I am breaking it. States want your tax dollars, that's why they have "laws" that require you to establish domicile in their state after being in the state after a specific time, or accepting employment, etc...the step after establishing domicile is licensing and registering vehicles, thus beginning of taxation.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote