Thread: Generator
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2005, 07:12 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn, unless yours is different I don't know of any Montana with an inside switch that controls the electric side, other than the breaker on the converter panel. the switch on the panel next to the water pump switch (that way on ours anyhow) is for the gas side of the water heater. Yours may be different though.

JD, you can use gas only, electric only, or both at the same time. Using both will reduce time to get the water hot again but will not increase water temperature. The advantage of using electric, either by itself or in combo with gas, is that the park usually pays for electricity while you pay for propane. However, when we were vacationing a single 30 lb bottle of propane would last us a year. That included running the water heater and also the fridge (while on the road). so I doubt you'd recover the cost of the electric element any time soon. That said, I don't know what that element costs. So in your shoes I'd just not worry about it and would just use gas. Others may feel differently but that's what I would do.

By the way, ours always gets the water hottest on gas. I suspect that's a function of how the respective thermostats are set so some may get hotter water on electricity.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote