Thread: ST vs LT Tires
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2010, 04:47 AM   #28
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by HughM

OZZ, You won't regret the G614's except when you have to pay for them. But that will soon pass when you have piece of mind that you no longer have to be concerned about blow outs and damage to your RV which usually costs more than the tires.

I too went with the G614's as many have. I think they are our best bet for fifth wheels running 7K axles, and with 14-16K GVWR.

I have a concern, but many people seem to be having success with the E rated LT tires rated at 3042 such as the Michelin Ribs. IMHO going with a tire that has less of a weight rating then the OEM tires is not the way to go.

There is a lot of reading on RV Net about G614's and many folks over there who do not have much good to say about them, and then of course many like them. Many are going to the 17.5 I nearly did. At the time I was getting my G614's mounted ,and balanced two G614's showed up at the tire shop still mounted on the rims, they were different rims so I assume they were off two different trailers. Both were still fully inflated, but had thrown there entire tread, and did not blow out. I would have to guess that made a mess out of the trailers. It was not very heart warming to see those two tires while getting my new ones installed. Time will tell .

One thing to point out about the Goodyear tire failures, they are very good about repairing the damaged trailers, and replacing the tires. I hope I don't have to find out.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote