View Single Post
Old 03-12-2009, 03:23 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We talk about this a lot. You can pull the Montana with your truck. I do, however there is a safety problem that comes with it. The bigger the truck the easier it is to stop when you come upon a panic situation. I believe that it's important for those of us who tow with a 3/4 ton truck to drive very defensively. By that I mean to maintain a very good distance between you and the traffic ahead. When someone cuts in front of you, back off to regain the "safe" distance. But remember that there is no real "safe" distance when a panic situation arises.

I try to watch the road at least 1/2 mile ahead and observe flashing tail lights. This is a pretty good indication that there may be something in the traffic ahead that's worth keeping an eye open for.

We who have a 3/4 ton truck for a tow vehicle all say we can pull any Montana; especially when you have the big diesel engine and 4.10 rear end. But remember again, it's stopping that you want to be aware of.

Sorry I made this so long but I don't want anyone to think that a person should run right out and buy a 3/4 ton tow vehicle. If you have to buy a tow vehicle, go for an F-350 (or GM or Dodge equivalent) or even larger. My next truck, if I get one, will be at least one ton.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote