Thread: Refridgerator
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2005, 03:52 PM   #5
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I preface this by saying that I make no claim of being a mildew expert. I have lived on the Gulf Coast for the better part of my life. Excessive humidity is rarely absent.

My experience with refrigerators in this climate tells me that the amount of vulnerability the seals and gaskets have to becoming collection spots for the nasty stuff is directly related to the amount of condensation that occurs. Some units are better than others about controlling the amount of condensation at the gasket. One refrigerator we owned had a heating element in the door casing to dry the moisture. We have had several different brands at different price levels, but they all have had this problem and require cleaning and mildew removal at regular intervals.

Most seals adhere to the main body but using magnetic strips as both seal and gasket. If a seal is not sealing or has become deteriated to the point of even slightly leaking cold air, or the door is frequently not solidly closed, condenstion increases and so does the mildew build up particularly at that point.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote