Thread: FIREPLACE ALERT
View Single Post
Old 10-23-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
FIREPLACE ALERT

I felt this should be posted in GEneral Discussions also as it is a very important piece of SAFETY INFORMATION. Saturday, I read the post BOBCAT had made about the fireplace mantel. I called Dimplex for additional information on this subject of the heat on the mantel. Cheryl of Customer Service just called me. She advised that the mantel should be OK, in regards to heat. However she did say that the Fireplace SHOULD NOT BE USED AS A PRIMARY SOURCE for heat. She advised to not have it on longer than three hours at a time and NEVER UNATTENDED OR ON DURING THE TIME YOUR ASLEEP!!!!! It's a wake up call for me as Christa and I used it overnight all night long on four occassions in Arkansas this last week when the temp dipped.
Cheryl advised that she was very concerned that folk's were doing the same thing I did. She said it was UNSAFE. and also said not to leave on for pets while your away from the RV. She advised the fireplace is designed as a temp warm up ONLY. The unit plugs in and extended heating will result in the unit burning out and or plug wire getting hot enough to catch fire. She said that there is a safety feature built into the fireplace. BUT... We both went over the Dimplex manuel while on the phone, as she was concerned that the limits of the unit were not mentioned.. This was going to be brought to the attention of high up's she said. I felt this important enough to post on both the General and Maintenance thread. I hope I didn't over step my boundry here, but If this information keeps just one person from getting hurt. I think it was worth it.
Sorry I was so long winded... Safe Travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote