View Single Post
Old 12-16-2022, 12:04 PM   #2
tjblocker
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23122
Your biggest concern is not that the trailer weighs 16500, but rather how much of this weight will be carried by the pickup itself. I suggest you compare the payload of the truck to the sum of the

1) weight on the trailer's pin plus

2) weight of the hitch plus
3) weight of everything that's in the bed plus
4) weight of passengers plus

5) weight of fuel
6) any other weight carried by the truck

I'm betting that if you do this you will find that you're overloading the truck. This discussion can trigger wars here. Thus I won't make any suggestions except to say that you have to decide for yourself if overloading the truck is OK. That is a decision that you must make for yourself.

People pulling fivers will almost always hit the max payload before they hit the max weight that's towable. And if your truck is a gasser you might also be exceeding max tow weight. However, gassers do tend to have higher payloads and lower tow weights.

Please don't anyone flame me. seasure1, know that this discussion is much like arguing Chevy over Ford. It makes some crazy.

cheers
Tom

I used to pull a 14lb Arctic Fox using a Chevy 2500. The truck did the job, but it always annoyed me that I was overweight. Air bags helped (a lot) but they don't change the payload. Nothing can change the legal payload.

Choose truck tires for their max carrying weight. I use only Michelins.

One more thing, be careful to not overload the rear tires. Doing so is very dangerous.

Hope this helps
B&W puck system hitch
tjblocker is offline   Reply With Quote